Saturday, August 7, 2010

Who needs sleep?

Yesterday was my last day at my internship. My coworkers through me a surprise going away party, which was cute. It was a potluck, so I got to try all sorts of tasty homemade Romanian food.

This is my last day living in the house in the suburbs. I'm completely packed up, cleaned up, etc. Like so many other times, my life is once again packed into two 50 pound suitcases.

In a couple of hours, I'll be boarding an overnight train to Sofia, Bulgaria. I'll arrive bright and early tomorrow morning, do some sightseeing, and stay that night in a hostel. The next night (Monday night), I'll be on an overnight train to Belgrade, where I'll also be staying two days and one night. Then I will conclude my journey with an overnight train back to Bucharest. Despite the misery that is bound to accompany so many overnight train trips, I'm pretty excited. I've wanted to visit Sofia for a long time, and Belgrade will be my first excursion into the Balkans. I managed to fit everything I'll need (including pillow/blanket) into my big purse, which my backpacker self is quite please with. Hopefully, I can avoid getting robbed / harassed on these trains. I'll be in 1st class, so hopefully there won't be too many problems. I'm also hoping that I understand the visa laws correctly; hopefully I don't have problems with any Bulgarian/Serbian border police.

I'll be back in Bucharest for one day, then my plane ride back to Baltimore! I'll put up a post about my trip during that day in Bucharest.

2 comments:

  1. this post is pretty intense. The underlying tone is happy but the major overtones of "I hope I don't get raped or murdered" are a little dark. Have fun... and don't get raped or murdered.

    ReplyDelete